By Alexandra Smith
The flavors of blackberry and lemon pair together surprisingly well. When combined and made into a flaky cookie oozing with sweet jam, they’re practically a match made in heaven. These cookies scream spring, with their bright flavor and crumbly texture. They pair well with a steaming cup of tea, and can also be made with raspberry or blueberry jam as well.
Blackberry Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon extract
2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup blackberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in the egg yolks, lemon juice, and lemon extract.
3. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until well blended.
4. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir with a large spoon until dough is moist. Gather dough into a ball.
5. Make 1-inch balls of dough and place on the baking sheets about 1-inch apart. Use a ½ teaspoon to make an indentation in the center of each cookie. Fill each indention with a little less than ½ teaspoon of the jam.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Cool the cookies on wire racks and enjoy. Recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies.